Abortion by Pills
procedure, uses a drug called Mifeprex, also known as RU486, is taken
orally in a Women's Choice's office and followed two days later by
another medication called misoprostol, which causes the uterus to
contract, resulting in the expulsion of the pregnancy tissue. This
method is safe and effective. Many women see this as a desirable
alternative to surgery and anesthesia
What to Expect - The Experience you Deserve
- When making your appointment you should feel comfortable with the person answering the phone.
medical appointments begin with paperwork - medical history,
information sheets and consent forms. If using healthcare to cover your
medical services, be sure to have your ID and health insurance
information with you.
tests will also be part of your day. You may have a pregnancy test,
anemia screening, and Rh type. Expect to give a urine and/or blood
- We also do an ultrasound for medical abortion patients, to accurately determine the gestational age of the pregnancy.
some private time with a staff person to review your medical history,
birth control plan, and other papers. This is also a time for you to ask
questions and raise any concerns you may have. We also spend some with
you to talk about your decision to have an abortion. Being clear and
resolved in this decision is what we hope for you.
initiate the procedure, the medical assistant with give you one to
three pills to take by mouth in her presence. If you have painful
menstrual periods, you will also be given pain medication as per
- After this treatment, you will be required to rest for about 20 minutes.
- You will be discharged with instructions to avoid certain foods and liquors
- You also be given medications and instructions for home treatment to complete the procedure as per physician order.
you will be encouraged to schedule a follow-up visit within 72 hours.
At this time you will find out if your procedure has completed or you
need further treatment.
- Some times depending upon your health condition, your physician may have to perform a D&C at additional cost.
upon your follow-up visit, the procedure has completed you will be
discharged or referred back to your own physician to carry on your
Remember…we provide quality care - you deserve.